Whether you call it a mission, a purpose or an ultimate goal there has to be a reason for everything. I prefer mission because it sounds much more passionate. The truth is, it is passion that drives me. I am passionate about children in general, but particularily children with special needs. I am passionate about parents, especially the ones specifically chosen to love, guide and support those with unique differences, and I am most definitely passionate about education.
My mission is to support and guide you.
This little slice of the internet I have created is intended to bring together all of those passions into a very special resource for parents of children with special needs who are advocating for their child at school, in the community and YES, even at home.
- Identify your personal strengths as a parent and advocate for your child.
- Acknowledge your unique perspectives and help you identify the mindset that is influencing your daily actions.
- Identify what you believe in and support you with reworking any limiting beliefs that might be getting in the way of you being or becoming an effective advocate.
- Increase your knowledge of the education system and the skills you need to bring to the table as part of a collaborative team.
- Build your confidence.
- YOU will feel EMPOWERED!
Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant – Robert Louise Stevenson
This is not going to be a stuffy bio but it is important that you know who I am and where I come from.
- parent to 3 children, 2 with unique learning differences
- community volunteer – parent network founder and facilitator, Special Education Advisory Committee Member
- lifelong learner – Degree in Human Services, Registered Early Childhood Educator, Working on M.A. in Education
- background in early intervention
- college professor (including experience teaching adults with disabilities)
Video Interview with Jam Gamble – A Voice for All (12:41)
I’ve supporting families of children with special needs for the past 25 years both at home and in schools from preschool – graduation. My work has taught me many things.
I’ve been working with children and youth with special needs and their families for the past 25 years. I have worked passionately with students and families from preschool through college as an early childhood educator, resource teacher, therapeutic facilitator, tutor, parent mentor, support person, educator, college professor and parent volunteer.
My most valuable experience though has come from parenting and navigating the complex education system when your child learns differently. I have learned many things (sometimes the hard way)! I can teach you about the education system and the do and the DO NOTS of partnership and collaboration. I want to share all I have learned with you! It doesn’t have to feel like a treasure chest of secrets.
I know that the parents I help are at different stages of their journey. You may need a little help, or you may need a life preserver. Maybe you don’t need help at all, but you just need to make sure you are on track. Whatever your situation, we need each other.
I invite you to not only follow my journey, but allow me to walk alongside you on your journey as well. Together we are a bigger voice and have so much to learn from one another.